subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link
Owosso Catalog | Owosso Hours | Owosso Map
Durand Catalog | Durand Hours | Durand Map
Alta Vista | Ask Jeeves | Excite | Go.com | Google | Hotbot | Lycos | Yahoo Search

Owosso History

  • 1867--The Ladies Library Association was organized.

  • 1910--The city council accepted the Ladies Library Association's gift

  • 1911--The Carnegie Corporation agreed to give $20,000 for a building.

  • 1913--L. E. Woodard and the Owosso Casket Company donated the present site for a library.

  • 1913--Ground breaking took place on September 4.  On October 28th the cornerstone was laid.

  • 1914--On July 4 the new building was dedicated.

  • 1926--Frieseke and Alice Rogers Fisher paintings donated.

  • 1955--First professional librarian hired.

  • 1959--First nonprint items (LP records) added to the library's collection.

  • 1963--First children's librarian hired.

  • 1964--The children's library was moved downstairs.

  • 1974--Friends of the Owosso Public Library organized.

  • 1974--The children's library was remodeled and redecorated.

  • 1979--The card catalog was converted to an electronic database format.

  • 1986--An elevator was added to provide access to the handicapped.

  • 1990--Circulation system automated.

  • 1994--The Owosso Public Library and the Durand Memorial Library combine to form the Shiawassee District Library.

  • 1997--The Internet Training Center and public Internet access become available.
  • click on images to enlarge

    1914

    1930

    Exterior

    Cornerstone

    Exterior

    Entrance
    Questions and comments regarding this site should be sent to info@sdl.lib.mi.us.
    Staff Access | ©2007 Shiawassee District Library